Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

A great concert at the Hollywood Bowl

Zoey and I are visiting my family here in Southern California and last night we went to the Hollywood bowl. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically a huge outdoor concert bowl nestled in and surrounded by the beautiful rolling Hollywood hills. During the warm months they have concerts there almost every night. My sister Breanna had some tickets for the concert last night where Count Basie orchestra was playing (the band that played for Frank Sinatra). Anyways, performing with the Count Basie orchestra was someone by the name of Jamie Cullum...None of us had ever heard of him, but as he was being announced it was obvious that he was the real reason people were there (not for the orchestra as we were). They call him a cross between Harry Connick Junior and Nora Jones. By the end of the night I was a HUGE fan. He's a Jazz singer from Britain (accent and all) and incredibly talented and entertaining. I linked his youtube videos below so you can see what I mean. I love the smooth style and how he can really take any genre of music and play it to his style..amazing artist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITLs4umWEFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFy767-x9GI (this was from our concert, he turns singing in the rain into "I need you more than ever" so keep listening)

3 comments:

Shawnanana said...

Hey cort im going to the hollywood bowl on friday. My fam goes every year as tradition. I love it! Im sry I am not able to see you while ur in lanc. I have to head back in 20 mins. :/ But I hope I can see you in provo before i report!! :)

Rachel and Todd said...

Sounds so awesome! I love jazz. Your family is so cute. Isn't it nice to know we don't have to go back to school . . . and elementary school this fall?

Shawnanana said...

hey cort you've be tagged by me so go check out my blog and see what you gotta do now ;)