Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Zoey's Testimony

Today in church I was sitting alone with Zoey. Our little Nancy Jane is at THE worst stage for sacrament reverence. We are hoping to push through it like we did with Zoey but it's really getting to us. Anyways, Andrew was out with her in the foyer. Two of Zoey's friends in the ward went up with their mom to bare their testimonies. Zoey was observing them as they were up at the stand and got this really excited look on her face and said to me "Mommy, I want to do my testimony." I kind of giggled and just sat there. She said it again and got up off the bench. I said "go ahead" not thinking she would really get any further but again she was serious so I told her to wait until the other girl was done and I would help her. She was pretty persistant as she waited her turn so I asked her if she was serious. She said yes. I figured I would take her up and see what she did even though I really didn't want to just stand there and wasn't planning on baring my own testimony since I had just conducted AND taught RS. So, I took her up to the pulpit and helped her with her testimony. It went something like this...

Me (whisper): I'd like to bare my testimony
Zoey: stares off into the congregation
Me (panicking that she won't do anything, whisper): I Love Jesus
Zoey (whisper): I Love Jesus
Me (relieved, whisper): Say it louder
Zoey (pretty loud): I Love Jesus
Me (whisper): I love my family
Zoey: I Love my family
Me: I love my sister Jane
Zoey: I love my sister Jane
Me (whisper): I love my baby brother
Zoey (whisper): I love my baby brother
Me (whisper): say it louder
Zoey (pretty loud): I love my baby brother
Me (whisper): In the name
Zoey (whisper): In the name
Me (whisper): louder
Zoey (louder): In the name
Me (whisper): of Jesus Christ
Zoey (whisper): of Jesus Christ
Me (whisper): louder
Zoey (louder): of Jesus Christ
Me (whisper): Amen
Zoey (very loudly): Amen!

It was pretty cute. I was just glad she spoke so I didn't have to resort to saying something. Andrew heard it out in the hall and peaked in so he got to see some of it too. I was surprised that shy little Zoey did something so brave. She surprises me everyday. One thing's for sure, she has to want to do it herself or it doesn't happen. We've never practiced testimonies before and only asked her one time if she wanted to go up so I was amazed that she took the initiative. So, even though she's in this horribly grumpy phase of life, there are these wonderful moments.

No comments: