Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Andrew and Hockey

So, I meant to post this awhile ago but haven't gotten around to it until now. Andrew and three of his brothers/in-laws all signed up for an adult ice hockey league a few months ago. They've had a few games, but this last one was the first one I was able to make it to. Andrew had told me ahead of time that they weren't allowed to do the "checking" that you see in a lot of hockey games. I was under the impression that it was all just for fun....little did I know how wrong I was. The team they were playing was supposedly pretty good as they had all played togehter awhile and had special black personalized jerseys. Andrew's team had only lost one game this season and it was to this team. The game started off good, but as time went on this "really good" team started playing really rough and cheap as they had yet to score a goal. During the game there were five main events that I wanted to note...

One: Marshall, our brother-in-law scored two of their goals!

Two: Andrew scored his first goal!!! woopee I was such a proud wife (did I mention I was surrounded by the opposing teams wives)

Three: Andrew had started playing rough back and noticed another guy skating in towards him as he had the puck. Assuming it was the other team, Andrew braced himself and went in for a hit. Andrew glanced over as the guy he hit flew across the ice and noticed it was his own brother, Phillip! He felt so bad as Phillip flew into the side with his legs buckling up over him. Luckily Phillip was okay and we all had a good laugh about it later.

Four: Towards the end of the game, an opposing player was roughing with Andrew and eventually Andrew checked him. The other guy got really mad and wanted to fight Andrew (I just know Andrew would've won:) After some colorful words (not by Andrew of course) they were both thrown into the penalty box! At this point in the game I was thinking... "andrew NEVER told me that he got in trouble during the games too!" Luckily I found out later that this game was unlike any they had ever played.

Five: Unfortunately, Phillip was the victim of one of the opposing teams cheap shots and got his chin split open, eeks it looked pretty bad but he is fine now.

After all was said and done, Andrew's team all went home winners with a score of 5 to ZIP! I guess those hot shots weren't all that great were they?

No comments: